When making a decision between synthetics and natural fabrics for your baby’s cloth diapers it makes things easier to know the pros and cons of each. Here’s a simple guide on the features and benefits of each type of fabric so you can decide what suits you best.
Cotton, bamboo, hemp, silk, wool
- Natural fibers on the bum.
- Feels wet on the skin (great for encouraging potty learning).
- Wash easily (less prone to holding smells, less prone to repelling issues).
- Can require pre-washing multiple times before use to remove naturally occurring oils. (Number of times depends on brand).
- Stains more easily.
- Feels wet on the skin (can cause rashes for some sensitive babies).
Microfleece, microfiber, suede cloth, athletic wicking jersey (AWJ), PUL/TPU
- Stay dry/wicking effect keeps baby’s bum dry and rash free (the most like a disposable from a wetness wicking standpoint).
- Microfiber is arguably the most absorbent material (in laboratory testing settings).
- Microfleece is soft on the bum.
- Less prone to staining and stains tend to fade more easily over subsequent washes without any treatment.
- PUL/TPU is water-resistant while still being breathable unlike old fashioned rubber or plastic pants.
- Microfiber can’t be next to the skin.
- Tendency to hold smells.
- Slightly more sensitive to poor wash routine (can be more prone to begin repelling or holding smells with inadequate rinsing and detergent ratios).
- Some babies are allergic to polyester (rarely, but it can happen).
There you have it, a quick and easy guide to helping you decide how to build your diaper stash from a materials standpoint. Keep in mind that cloth diapers are never an all-or-nothing pursuit. Most moms at one point or another end up trying lots of different styles, brands and materials to find which diapers they like the best.
Diaper brands with synthetic materials:
BumGenius 5.0, Freetime and Littles
Rumparooz Pocket Diapers & Newborn Lil Joeys
AppleCheeks with Microfiber Inserts
GroVia Hybrid Shells with No Prep Inserts
Funky Fluff AWJ
Diaper brands with natural materials:
AppleCheeks with Bamboo Inserts
Thirsties Natural One Size or Newborn AIO and Fitteds
Smart Bottoms 3.1 One Size AIOs or Newborn AIOs
My Diaper Addiction
GroVia Hybrid Shells with Organic Cotton Inserts
EcoPosh OBV Pocket Diapers and Fitteds
Funky Fluff Bamboo One Size or Newborn
BumGenius Elemental AIOs
Prefolds (Bummis, GroVia or Thirsties)
Bummis All In One
Shop our SALES to find something new to try.