Ok, so you're ready to start cloth diapering, you know you need to be aware and use cloth safe bum ointments and you know not to use fabric softener or dryer sheets. But, can you use anything in the dryer?
You sure can! Say hello to wool dryer balls. A chemical free, all natural way to replace those costly synthetic dryer sheets and liquid fabric softeners.
But what are wool dryer balls and what do they do?
Wool dryer balls are simply that. A 100% ball of real wool that's washed/felted on the outside so they are smooth and don't shed on your laundry. You simply toss them in the dryer with your wet clothes, cloth diapers, towels or baby clothes and let them do their magic. They can be used on any load of laundry, whites or darks - even delicates. Once you toss them in the dryer drum you leave them there all the time and forget about them. One less thing to have to remember. Plus while they are in there, they toss around with your laundry to reduce dry time, soften your clothing naturally and, reduce wrinkling and static cling.
Why choose wool? There are other kinds of dryer balls (silicone, plastic etc). But wool has a number of lovely properties:
- It's absorbent, so it helps reduce drying time by absorbing some extra moisture from the laundry load and they break up the load as they toss around which means more warm air flow and ultimately a faster total drying time by up to 20%. That saves you money and time. Win win.
- Wool is all natural which means you can use them for a long time on dryer duty and whenever you're done with them they can be composted for a zero waste footprint. The dryer balls we carry at Cloth Diaper Kids are completely wool, even on the inside.
***Beware of cheap, imitation or lesser quality balls that might have other fillers on the inside or wool mixed with other synthetic fabrics (not compostable). They also won't perform as well as the real thing.
- Wool is soft and gentle with no sharp edges to snag your favorite shirt.
- They last for years without wearing out. Although I highly suggest you get 2 packs for a total of 8 balls since they like to get suck hiding in laundry, pets love to play with them and toddlers like to steal them. Plus the more balls in the drum the more the benefit.
- Wool balls are non-toxic and hypoallergenic. They don't contain dyes or scents so they are a great solution for people with sensitive skin. However, if you do like scented laundry you can add a few drops of your favorite essential oil to them for a customized natural scent for all your laundry loads.
So, if you're ready to amp up your laundry dryer cycle, wool dryer balls are the way to go.
Where can you get them? Here of course. We've got you covered. Plus save 5% with coupon code: DRYTIME.