Top Tips For Dealing With Diaper Blowouts 💩
Let's be honest, blowouts are a lot less common when babies wear cloth diapers compared to when they wear disposables. But 💩 happens and sometimes it happens in a BIG way. This is a new parent's worst nightmare and no one wants to be stuck dealing with a smelly, uncomfortable mess, especially in public. If this is you, you're not alone and there are lots of ways to at least make a 'poo-splosion' less catastrophic. So what can you do to keep it contained in even the most extreme circumstances?
First, know your enemy. What causes a diaper blowout in the first place?
- Diaper Fit - If baby's diaper doesn't fit properly, leaks are going to happen. Your diaper should fit so the elastic is snug around the leg, flat against the skin in the underwear line with no gapping (even when legs are moved up and down). The elastic at the waist in the front and especially the back should sit flat against the skin as well. Make sure none of the absorbent part of the diaper is sticking out anywhere.
- Baby's Age - Newborns are more prone to blowouts. Why? Well, because their diet is liquid and what goes in, comes out in nearly the same consistency. Liquidy poop makes escape more likely unless you diaper has a good fit (see point above).
- User Error - If the diaper change had to be speedy or if a different caregiver happened to put the diaper on not quite right, that could be the source of your woes.
- Absorbency - Sometimes if it's been a while since a diaper change and then the poop happens, there just might not be enough absorbency for that moment in time. Or some toddlers start learning to hold their pee when they are close to potty learning and then flood their diapers all at once.
- Anatomy - If you forgot to point down during your son's diaper change and instead they are pointed up or sideways, you could get a leak.
- Growth Patterns - It could also be that baby is outgrowing the sizing on their current diaper setup. As a general rule, if you can see baby bum crack, let out a rise snap or size up to a larger diaper.
So how do we make sure diaper blowouts and leaks don't happen?
- Use a quality diaper that fits your particular baby well with no gaps at the legs or waist.
- Make sure you have enough absorbency and increase that as baby grows according to their needs.
- Change diapers regularly (usually about every 2-3 hours during the day) both to maintain healthy skin and prevent leaks. It's especially helpful to make sure baby is changed just before outings, going in the carseat or baby carrier and before naps or bedtime.
- Use the right size diaper for your baby
- Leave Onesies and bodysuits that snap at the crotch very loose or unsnapped altogether. Pressure from the snaps against the absorbency of the diaper can invite compression leaks.
- Keep lots of wet bags handy. These zip up waterproof bags go with you in the diaper bag, on the stroller or to the mall to carry any mess so you don't have to while you're out of the house or travelling. Pro tip: have one wet bag for dirty diapers or clothing and another wet bag with a fresh set of clothes just in case. Having lots of cloth wipes and a little spray bottle of water or wipe solution in your diaper bag is good to have on hand too.
- Anticipate larger diaper deposits if baby is eating a lot during a growth spurt, if they are sick or on medication.
At the end of the day, babies in cloth diapers experience fewer blowouts than babies in disposables, but sometimes they happen regardless of what baby is wearing. But with these tips you'll be ready and prepared to deal with whatever your baby throws at you.
You are a good parent. Keep up the great work.
These Just In...
OsoCozyOriginal price $17.99 - Original price $17.99Original price$17.99$17.99 - $17.99Current price $17.99In stock
100% organic unbleached cotton flannel for softness and absorbency. Perfect for delicate baby skin as washclothes or cloth diapering reusable wipes...View full detailsOriginal price $17.99 - Original price $17.99Original price$17.99$17.99 - $17.99Current price $17.99
Original price $37.99 - Original price $37.99Original price$37.99$37.99 - $37.99Current price $37.99Low stock
Introducing the TotsBots HERO reusable diaper! TotsBots took over 20 years of cloth diaper manufacturing experience created a very clever hybr...View full detailsOriginal price $37.99 - Original price $37.99Original price$37.99$37.99 - $37.99Current price $37.99
Original price $19.99 - Original price $19.99Original price$19.99$19.99 - $19.99Current price $19.99In stock
Always have a place to store your soiled diapers between washes even when you're on the go. Petite Crown's small size wet bag holds one diaper c...View full detailsOriginal price $19.99 - Original price $19.99Original price$19.99$19.99 - $19.99Current price $19.99
Original price $23.99 - Original price $23.99Original price$23.99$23.99 - $23.99Current price $23.99In stock
Always have a place to store your soiled diapers between washes even when you're on the go. Petite Crowns medium size wet bags hold about 7 diap...View full detailsOriginal price $23.99 - Original price $23.99Original price$23.99$23.99 - $23.99Current price $23.99
Original price $34.95 - Original price $34.95Original price$34.95$34.95 - $34.95Current price $34.95In stock
Diaper laundry is made easy with the Petite Crown washable pail liner. Large and durable, it fits most receptacles easily with the wide top openi...View full detailsOriginal price $34.95 - Original price $34.95Original price$34.95$34.95 - $34.95Current price $34.95
Original price $25.99 - Original price $25.99Original price$25.99$25.99 - $25.99Current price $25.99In stock
Storage pods are washable ways to store things. No need for a plastic bag. They work for many things from the diapering days and beyond. Reuse ...View full detailsOriginal price $25.99 - Original price $25.99Original price$25.99$25.99 - $25.99Current price $25.99
Original price $33.99 - Original price $33.99Original price$33.99$33.99 - $33.99Current price $33.99In stock
The Trima is Petite Crown's All In One (AIO) style diaper. With all natural fabrics inside it offers generous absorbency and a comfortable fit. ...View full detailsOriginal price $33.99 - Original price $33.99Original price$33.99$33.99 - $33.99Current price $33.99